AB 341 Requirements (Mandatory Commercial Recycling Program)
Purpose: Reduce GHG emissions by expanding recycling efforts.
For more information, call the City of Selma at (559) 891-2200, or contact CalRecycle http://www.calrecycle.ca.gov/
YOUR GARBAGE SERVICE
Trash services within the City of Selma are contracted to:
For additional questions regarding your garbage service please call Waste Management at (559) 891-7694.
Map of Garbage and Recycling Pickup days
For questions regarding billing please call Waste Management (559) 891-7694.
The following is information that you want to know and information that you should know about your trash service.
A few things that we would like you to know about your trash service
- Curb side pick-up - Place carts the night before pick-up on the curb (not the street) facing the street so that the lid opens towards the street with space in between so that the truck arm can pick up the cart without knocking over other carts.
- Alley pick-up - If you have alley pick up make sure your carts are placed on the proper side of the alley for pick-up. Carts on both sides of the alley will necessitate the garbage truck making two trips down your alley.
- Hints to make the cart empty better -Wet grass placed into a green cart will often not empty completely. The wet grass sticks to the sides and to itself staying in the cart. Cardboard stuffed into the recycling bin can do the same thing. Please make sure items are loose so that they fall out of the can when emptied.
Pictures of what to Do & What NOT to do:
DO place only green and yard waste in your cart. Your green waste cart has a green lid.
This includes: grass, leaves, pruning’s, tree trimmings. Limbs and branches should be cut to fit within the cart itself.
DO NOT place plastics, trash and other non-organic items in your green waste cart.
DO place common household recyclables in your recycle cart. Your recycle cart has a blue lid.
Common household recyclables include: newspaper, mail, aluminum cans, plastic bottles, cardboard, mail and glass bottles. Please be sure your recyclables are clean, dry and un-bagged.
DO NOT contaminate or overfill your recycle cart. Common contaminants include; food scraps, plastic bags and film, yard or green waste, wood, Styrofoam, soiled food containers.
DO NOT place tires, paint or batteries of any size or type in your carts, ever. These are hazardous materials that require special handling. Local resources for safe disposal of these common items are available locally at hardware stores and other outlets.
If you need further information on where to dispose of these or other hazardous items, please refer to:
Fresno County's Website for low-cost and free disposal options
Frequently Asked Questions
Next community cleanup: April 17, 2023 - April 22, 2023
- Address verification required (CA Driver’s License or current copy of Waste Management billing statement)
- Maximum loads accepted 1-ton pickups
- One trip per household
- Multifamily Property Owners – Provide list of property addresses
- General Household Waste
- Green waste
- Scrap Metal (must be separated)
- Non-Freon appliance & Bulky items
- Yard clean up debris (Furniture, fencing, wire/wood, small metals etc.)
- E-Waste Accepted
- Car Tires - $3 Without Rims
- Car Tires - $5 With Rims
- Mattresses and Box spring
Cannot be Accepted:
- AC Units
- Freon appliances
- Propane tanks
- Universal waste will not be accepted at this event
- Construction debris from commercial construction or Landscaping companies
- No household hazardous waste
- No treated wood grape stakes/RR ties or telephone poles
Brown trash carts are $26.50 a month.
Green waste carts and Blue recycling carts are $9.25 a month.
- Overfilling. If the lid of your 95 gallon cart is unable to close due to an overfilled container, you will receive a fine. This is easily avoided by making use of all three carts. Over 50% of what the average family throws away is recyclable.
- Contamination in the green and blue carts. See What goes Where to find out what is meant by contamination.
- Placing prohibited materials in the garbage cart such as tires, televisions, dirt or construction materials (concrete, sheetrock, etc.)
Yes, if you are of the age of 60 years or older you do qualify for a $1.00 discount off your monthly bill. Fill out this Senior Citizen Discount Form and bring it to City Hall with your ID.